The surgeon will speak to your family or significant other after the procedure. After returning home from your procedure it is not unusual to feel sleepy, light-headed, sore & at times nauseated. How you feel depends on the complexity of your procedure, the length of your surgery, your pain threshold, your general medical condition & the type of anesthesia received. It is important that you take time to rest & heal.
The day of surgery, you will receive written and verbal instructions from the recovery room nurse related to your specific type of surgery. Also, please follow these directions:
- Call your doctor if you have any unusual symptoms or sudden changes in your condition
- Take pain medications as prescribed by your doctor
- Avoid all alcoholic beverages while taking prescription pain pills
- Avoid signing any legal documents for 24 hours
- Avoid driving a car, operating machinery or heavy equipment for 24 hours or while taking pain medicine
- In the event of an emergency, call your surgeon at his office or dial 911